Monday, June 13, 2011

Asian Noodle Soup for a not quite cold day

It’s been so hot here in the Northeast that today’s temps in the 60’s leaves me feeling like I want to pull out the cozy jammies and curl up with some soup. Soup must be one of my favorite things to make for my hubby and myself. It uses your odds and ends and is so personal and comforting, I know of few people who are not enticed by a steaming bowl of soup. I have the pea tendrils coming in and while I want a bowl of soup, I don’t want anything over powering so this Asian Noodle Soup fills the bill today.


I mentioned Ollie’s Noodle House a post or two ago and this easy and quick soup was inspired from their noodle bowls. There are a few ingredients in here that I always have on hand and if you do not have them that can be substituted but with a different effect. These are white Miso paste, a salty and rich paste that can be added to many soups, stews, sautés and is also the base to Japanese Miso Soup (you can sub more soy sauce), Sambel Olek, a hot Asian paste that can be stirred into almost anything and the Japanese Style fat rice noodles which are so fun to slurp down (you can sub regular vermicelli). The dish will be different than my Noodle Lunch Soup but I am sure it will be equally delicious.



Asian Noodle Lunch


Serves 2 -4 depending on hunger factor!
Approximately 20-30 minutes start to finish


EQUIPMENT:
• A pot. (Can it get easier than this?)


INGREDIENTS:
• 1 ½ quarts light broth (chicken or beef, canned may be substituted if need be)
• 2 slices peeled ginger
• 1 clove garlic
• 2 cups baby Bok Choy- sliced (I have substituted cabbage, Napa cabbage, Pea Tendrils or any vegetable that is similar in texture and taste …)
• 1 chicken cutlet – sliced thin (can substitute or add shrimp)
• 1 package Japanese style fat rice noodles
• 2 large Tablespoons white miso paste
• 1 -2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
• ½ block firm tofu (optional)
• 1 cup Mung Sprouts (and / or substitute Julienne carrots)
• ½ teaspoon Sambel Olek (or hot sauce)
• ¼ cup sliced scallions
• 2 Tablespoons ripped Cilantro


METHOD


1. While stock is coming to boil, add ginger and garlic. Let simmer a couple of minutes.
2. While broth is simmering slice Bok Choy and add to soup. Meanwhile slice your chicken breast.
3. Once greens are beginning to become tender in 3-4 minutes, add chicken breast.
4. Add noodles after 1-2 minutes.
5. Once noodles become tender, turn down heat, add miso, soy sauce, tofu, sprouts and Sambel Olek.
6. Ladle into bowls and garnish with scallions and cilantro.


NOTE: I leave the garlic whole and pull it out when serving along with the ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment